On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, CIF Southern Section Commissioner Rob Wigod hosted a Q&A session. This enabled student-athletes, families, and coaches to ask questions regarding the 2020-2021 sports seasons, especially in consideration of recent statewide developments. Below is a brief summary that encapsulates the most pertinent points from the Q&A.
Summary of Q&A
- CIF has submitted a proposal to the California Department of Health. It is a tier-based proposal for safely returning to all sports. CIF is simply awaiting for the proposal to receive approval.
- CIF has continued to be in conversations with the California Governor’s Chief of Staff and the California Department of Health.
- The underlying message is, “Give us a chance! We can implement athletics safely while adhering to all health protocols and guidelines.”
- CIF will continue to advocate for education-based athletics.
- By early February, CIF anticipates the need to make some difficult, final decisions regarding fall sports.
- Fall sports could conceivably start as late as mid-February, and they would still have time to conduct meaningful regular seasons.
- Spring sports remain untouched. They are still expected to begin on schedule.
- If necessary, CIF is willing to cancel section playoffs in order to give sports more time to conduct regular seasons (i.e., football could begin competing as late as 3/5/21 and fulfill a 6-7 game season without section playoffs).
- CIF recognizes that other states have conducted seasons and travel/club programs are currently administering seasons (with competitions out of state). CIF is continuing to advocate for our state and our Department of Public Health to give us that same chance. Ultimately, student health and safety will always be their number one priority.
To view the entire Q&A, you can access the video on the CIF-SS YouTube page (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHlgDA_qBIw&t=13s).
Additionally, a paraphrased transcript of the questions and answers is attached below. Please note that this is a paraphrasing, and the answers are not a verbatim transcript.
CIF Southern Section Q&A Transcript: CIF SS Q&A
Please do not give up hope! We may still be able to compete. All sports may still be able to have seasons. We will not make any empty promises, but we are not abandoning hope yet. If we are able to compete, we are doing everything we can to ensure that our student-athletes are ready when the time comes. Our school and our district will continue to advocate for education-based athletics in a safe and healthy environment. Thank you for your continued patience and support of the Warren Athletic Department. We want to afford our student-athletes every possible opportunity. Akin to CIF-SS, we are hoping that we are given that chance.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Samantha Miyahara, Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.